Friday, November 13, 2009

Misc...

Hey! Sorry I haven't posted in a long time. I was trying to find this book that I saw Vacquitas in-- it's a great book, and though it may be a little outdated, I will continue to look for it, and say all the info on another post.
For this post:
This is mostly bits and pieces that I have found. Baijis, Chinese River Dolphins, were thought to be extinct; this happened a few Decembers ago. Well, I have to say I was absolutely devastated.I had been hoping that pollution in the Yangtze River would lessen, but it didn't. I'm not blaming anyone, as the Yangtze is a bustling river of trade, but it still made me sad to learn of their extinction. The interesting part of this post is that I did a little bit of research, and found that scientists managed to take footage of the dolphins in the wild. They are now just critically endangered. This is still in the "red zone", but it IS a start, and I'm sure that scientists are starting small captive breeding programs.
I have a REALLY good book on dolphins, porpoises, and whales, by the way, so I'll put some info on this post. If you want to learn a LOT (and I mean a lot) on cetaceans, please read this book. It's really great! 

Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises
The bestselling guide to whales, dolphins, and porpoises
By: Mark Carwardine, R. Ewan Fordyce, Peter Gill, and Erich Hoyt
Copyright 1998, published by Fog City Press
On the cover, there is an image of a breaching orca

Awesome, Awesome book. 

--Snoops (I'm going to sign off with this name from now on)
PS In the comments, please say what I can improve on to make this blog more interesting. I want to get more readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment